One of the first written evidences about Bister dates as far back as 1374 (in the Bystur). The scattered settlement is located on a lynchet west of Grengiols and consists of the two main hamlets Egga and Dorfji as well as a few more singularly placed groups of buildings. The in the hamlet of Bänna located chapel St. Anna with its baroque altar from 1698 was built in 1651.
The municipality extends from the Rhone (770 meters above sea level) to the 2993 meter high Bättlihorn. It mainly consists of forests and utilised agricultural meadows and fields. Today Bister is one of the smallest villages in Switzerland.